• A web page template DSL for my website

    In my previous blog post I presented how I had come up with an embedded domain-specific language for creating web pages in my custom static site generator. I also mentioned the concept of “templates” in passing. Of course it was only logical to follow the page DSL up with a custom template DSL to smooth over the code duplication and pattern repetition.

    Continue reading…

  • A page DSL for my website

    I got bitten by the Lisp bug recently again, and so I decided to clean up an ugly wart in my static site generator which I use for generating the Workshop. The goal was to create an embedded domain-specific language (DSL) for defining web pages.

    Continue reading…

  • A pure HTML & CSS menubar

    In the process of de-Bootstrapping the workshop I have to replace whole components provided by Bootstrap with my own constructs. The menu bar is one of the larger components I use, it's fairly complex and requires a lot of non-semantic markup to get working. In this blog post I will describe step by step how I built mine, which requires less markup and does not rely on Javascript. You can try the demo to see what we are going for (please resize your window to see the responsiveness).

    Continue reading…

  • Outlining of HTML pages is fundamentally broken

    If you were to run the Workshop through an HTML validator you would notice a lot of warnings about the document outline. What is going on here? HTML 5 defines an outline algorithm which allows browsers and assistive technologies to create an outline of the page. In theory a blind person could ask their reader for the outline of the page and get a sort of table of contents which they could use to quickly jump to a specific part of the page.

    Continue reading…

  • Rewriting the Workshop

    At this point I could start to make rewriting my website an annual tradition. There have been a number of little details that have been rubbing me the wrong way for almost a year now; the biggest one was the navigation bar on sub-sites like the Grid Framework product site. There were also accessibility issues relating to the lack of a proper HTML document outline and the use of JavaScript.

    Continue reading…

  • We are live!

    The Workshop blog is finally up and running, in all its static glory. This makes the site practically complete, at least as complete as a website can ever be anyway. It also works great with my Multiblog plugin.

    Continue reading…